Get ideas & inspirations delivered to your inbox. You won't want to miss a thing, so subscribe free to the Blog Feed or sign up for Free Email Updates on the latest projects, shop news, blog tutorials & more. Check out the Project Gallery, Garden, Eat & Inspirations tabs above, to see what you have missed. Browse through the sidebar for this week's Popular Posts!
**Please note: Some links may be broken, if this happens, please search for the title of a post on the search tab on the right while I work on fixing the problem.---->

How to Make Body Butter


We are all well aware that during the winter months our skin begs for moisture.  The question is whether we should reach for a soothing lotion or a body butter.

There is a difference between body lotion and a body butter.  The body lotion contains water, it goes on smoothly, absorbs quickly and leaves no greasy residue.  The body butter on the other hand has no water, so it's rich in moisture, keeps the skin saturated and hydrates better.

My skin gets really dry during the winter. In order to keep it moisturized, I decided to make my own body butter rather than keep spending more on commercial body butters or lotions.

This is a great choice in order for you to customize it to meet your own skin's needs.  What better way to save on lotions and at the same time treat your skin with love, than making it yourself.

I have tried a few recipes, and so far this is my favorite.  I have sensitive skin, so I used the simplest ingredients for my body butter.  You can adjust it to meet your own needs or customize it with your own pure fragrance and oils.

This is what I used:


    *This will yield several containers for you to save or hand out as gifts.
*Note: The links provide where you may purchase the ingredients.  You may also find them in your local health food store.

Instructions:
1. Melt the Shea butter in microwave safe dish or double boiler, make sure not to over heat Shea butter.  You will know it's over heated if it boils or gets granulated.
2. Add the almond oil and vitamin E oil.  Stir it until it is well blended.  Remove from heat.
3. Add corn starch (optional) prevents it from getting too greasy.
4. Add the essential oil blend well.
5. Place mixture in the freezer for about 5-10 minutes or over a bowl full of ice.
6. Use hand or stand mixer to blend the butter until it thickens a bit, about 3-4 minutes.


7. You may need to repeat steps 4 and 5 a couple of times before you start seeing the mix thicken to your consistency preference.
8. Once you reach the thickness of your preference, transfer the mix to a glass jar or container of your choice while still soft with a spatula.

..and voila!  Easy as pie!
Hope that you enjoy making your own body butter.  


7 comments :

  1. I didn't know body butter coould be DIY'ed! Would cocoa butter do too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, cocoa butter can be made at home too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might try this one out. I like the idea of using a butter that you have made up yourself, then you know exactly what is in it!

    Do you know if the almond oil can be substituted/omitted? I'd like to try making a good natural moisturiser for my boys with eczema but they have nut allergies so I imagine almond oil might not be the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the 'recipe'! Definitely gonna have to try it. Off to follow you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had shea butter that was yellow. Guess that wasn’t the real deal. I am going to give this recipe a try once I get my hands on some shea butter.
    I have also been wanting to make my own vanilla

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMGosh, I'm so impressed! Sounds divine, esp the lavendar...can't get enough of that relaxing scent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this looks so luscious. It is so cold here right now that I'm slathered at all times.

    Thanks so much for sharing at Pin'Inspiration Thursday last week. Hope to see you back again this week :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for adding your thoughts. I read all of your comments and I reply to all one way or another, mostly by email or on your blog. You brighten up my day & for that I thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover