Get ideas & inspirations delivered to your inbox. You won't want to miss a thing, so subscribe free to the Blog Feed or sign up for Free Email Updates on the latest projects, shop news, blog tutorials & more. Check out the Project Gallery, Garden, Recipes & Inspirations tabs above, to see what you have missed. Browse through the sidebar for this week's Popular Posts!
**Please note: Some links may be broken, if this happens, please let me know which post & search for the title of a post on the search tab on the right while I work on fixing the problem.---->

Furniture Makeover

furniture-makeoverToday I've taken the opportunity to share a desk makeover with you.  This little desk is very old and it is not made out of wood, so it was a bit of a challenge only because I could not do what I originally wanted, which was to sand and re-stain it.  After sanding the top and discovering that it was particle board, there was just no turning back, so I decided to paint it.  The hardest part was deciding on a color, I chose a very light grey for this piece, but who knows what color may lay in it's future.

For this project I used the following:
 
  • primer by Sherwin Williams
  • small foam roller
  • small paint brush for small areas
  • paint stick for mixing
  • paint tray
  • rag
  • gloves
  • sand paper block (grade unknown)
  • grey paint

DSC_2081
This desk is all laminate, so I used a primer by Sherwin Williams with a low odor formula that I had in storage.  For this project I did not sand before priming because this primer adheres wonderfully.
 
After the primer was dry, I lightly sanded it in order for the paint to go on smoothly.  I did not want to use extra chemicals in my paint and since I used a small roller, I did not have to worry about brush strokes.  I cleaned off the dust with a rag to prep for painting.
DSC_2078IMAG1118IMAG1115
I primed once, sanded lightly and then painted the desk with two coats of a satin finish grey paint, I waited until it dried in between coats.  Below is the final finish. 
I waxed it a little with dark tinted furniture wax to add a bit of an aged look, but nothing major.  It'll do for now until I change my mind and give it another color or look with new hardware. 
IMG_1903
IMG_1887
What do you think?





Pin It button on image hover