Get ideas & inspirations delivered to your inbox. You won't want to miss a thing, so subscribe free to the Blog Feed or sign up for Free Email Updates on the latest projects, shop news, blog tutorials & more. Check out the Project Gallery, Garden, Recipes & Inspirations tabs above, to see what you have missed. Browse through the sidebar for this week's Popular Posts!
**Please note: Some links may be broken, if this happens, please search for the title of a post on the search tab on the right while I work on fixing the problem.---->

Hot Apple Cider & a Case of the Sniffles

apple cider
It has been a long weekend.  My little man has the sniffles, runny nose,
lots of coughing, lots and lots of coughing:-(  

I remember organizing the kitchen a couple of weeks ago and my son was
 in his playroom, there it was...a cough.  I stopped, I listened.  Was it a cold cough?
Was it an asthma cough?  I didn't hear it again for the rest of the day,
but my heart was pounding, I prayed, "please let it not be asthma".

Normally, people think, oh asthma, that's not too bad.
Well, it depends on the seriousness of it.  Some have it mild and others have chronic
asthma, that is where we have been in the last six years.  Chronic means he cannot
have anything in his room. It means his pillow & mattress must be covered in
allergen-free fabrics.  It means we can't have scented plug-ins, no aerosols, no perfume,
no candles, nothing that may trigger an asthma attack. This is why he has a separate
room for toys and crafts.  It also means lots of doctors visits, lots of days out of school,
bad medicine, and many sleepless nights.

But I must say, that after my munchkin had his surgery last March, things have been better.
He has not been sick for months, no colds, no coughs, nothing, only health and peace of heart.
I have not been more at peace than the last half year.

But now we are in November, cold weather has set in, that is something we cannot
control.  He has a bad cold which has triggered his asthma.
I managed to cheer up my little guy with a special warm drink.

I made a simple hot apple cider just for him.

DSC_0624
I grabbed what I had on hand for this recipe.  
  • 2 cups of apple cider
  • 1 teaspoon of whole allspice
  • 2 whole cinnamon sticks
  • 1/2 teaspoon of whole cloves
  • 3 teaspoons of brown sugar
  • 2 star-shaped anise optional (garnish)
  • apple optional (garnish)

Apple Cider recipe
 As I poured the cider into a small saucepan, I turned on the heat to high.
I added the spices first, the whole allspice, cinnamon sticks,
whole cloves and then the brown sugar.

You do have the option to wrap the allspice and cloves in a cheesecloth and then
add it to the pot.  I simply strained everything instead.
Bring it to a boil and then reduce the heat and keep it warm.
Pour it into a cup and add garnish if you wish, then serve.
I added my anise star and cinnamon stick.
You can also add an apple slice as I did below to impress guests.  
How to make apple cider
apple cider recipe
My little man was pretty excited about this warm drink,
only because he loves apples and I was going to give
it to him in an actual apple.  He couldn't wait!
apple cider recipe
apple cider recipe
My son loved it!!

Enjoy!

Linked to:
Sew Chatty
Salt Tree
I Should be Mopping the Floor



No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding your thoughts. I read all of your comments and I reply to all one way or another, mostly by email or on your blog. You brighten up my day & for that I thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover