Get ideas & inspirations delivered to your inbox. You won't want to miss a thing, so subscribe free to the Blog Feed or sign up for Free Email Updates on the latest projects, shop news, blog tutorials & more. Check out the Project Gallery, Garden, Recipes & Inspirations tabs above, to see what you have missed. Browse through the sidebar for this week's Popular Posts!
**Please note: Some links may be broken, if this happens, please search for the title of a post on the search tab on the right while I work on fixing the problem.---->

How to Clean Heavy Gunk Off Your Iron


clean iron
You have probably read tons of advice on 
how to clean your iron, just as I have.  I tried them ALL, but
for some particular reason, none of them worked on my iron.  
My iron does not have the shiny surface that many others have.

I gathered all of these attempts from Pinterest:

I tried the vinegar & baking soda approach, and nothing.
I tried the toothpaste approach, nothing.
I tried the magic eraser, nothing.
I tried the salt approach, nothing.
I tried too many to mention.
Everything failed!
I got so desperate, I almost ruined my iron by trying other crazy ideas
which did not work; ex: SOS pad, yes I got really desperate folks.
Friends, I had lost hope until I tried this!

Yes it is, a Tylenol.  Who on earth would have thought?  There is NO COATING on this tablet!
If you try this at home, make sure to use pliers or metal tweezers to avoid getting
your fingers burned.  I rubbed carefully & used a small towel.
I was pretty skeptical, I honestly did not think a little pill would do the trick...
...but it was truly magic!
Good heavens, makes me wonder what's in that pill?
This gunk was thick and not budging.  I thought that I was going to have 
to live with gunk on my iron.  People, I think I heard a choir of angels 
singing when the gunk was gone.
 Sorry that the clip is sideways.
Now to clean the rest of the stain.

What I did:
1. Set the iron to high heat setting, about 4 or 5. Make sure there is no water in it.
2. Get large Tylenol tablet the white kind with NO COATING, NOT gel.
3. Grab pliers or tweezers to hold pill and rub off gunk.
4.  The pill will begin to shrink, use more if needed.
5. Wipe with damp towel excess gunk.
6. Done!  You may have some remaining stain as mine did,
just keep rubbing until it's all gone.
***NOTE***
Do not use any other tablet other than Tylenol to do this.
Make sure that it does not contain any
coating.  I've had two readers tell me that they had a toxic smell occur,
so make sure that you use the correct tablet.

Linking to:
Savvy Southern Style
Craftberry Bush
The Sits Girls
Whipperberry
SaltTree
Sumo's Sweet Stuff
Finding Home
Uncommon Designs
Create with Joy
I Should be Mopping the Floor
Fingerprintson the Fridge
The Frugal Girls
The 36th Avenue
House of Smiths
I Gotta Create
Horrific Knits
Love and Laundry
The Thriftiness Miss

19 comments :

  1. That is genius! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing your post at our linky party this week!
    Thanks for the great tip! Who would've thought?
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing! Thanks for sharing!
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I saw this post before Friday! I've just bought a new iron to replace my horribly gunked one!. I'll keep this in mind for the new one.

    Gaby x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it. Before trying this last thing, I was considering getting a new one too, but it magically worked.

      Delete
  5. I used nail polish remover on mine and got 98% of it off. I'm gonna try this on the remaining 2%. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela, Thank you for stopping by Inspirations by D. I tried nail polish remover on mine too and it would not budge. Perhaps it was the finish on my iron or the kind of nail polish remover I had, don't know. I'm glad it worked partially for you though.

      Delete
  6. I've never heard of this tip before! My iron got all gunked up after I used it to remove stubborn wall paper! I will have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing!!!!!!!!! I'm off to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG! I'm off to try this right now on my gunky iron! I make nautical flags for my Etsy shop and I'm so worried the gunk from my iron is going to get on the white duck cloth!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great tip! I'm SO going to try this out...tks!

    -Danielle
    Follow: @DanielleASB
    Blog: ChatterOutLoud.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. i did this and it did remove the gunk but it created a toxic smell. I had to get the kids downstairs it was so bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that Nikki,
      Another reader told me there was a smell, but she used some other tablet with a coating. Please be careful & use only Tylenol with no coating, it won't cause a smell.

      Delete
  11. Stumbled across this on Pinterest! I'm gonna have to try it out on my icky iron. My husband won't even use the iron it's so gunky, and I worry a little each time I use it that the gunk will suddenly rub off on whatever I'm ironing! Thanks for sharing!

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! Can't believe how well this works!!! I tried using some sort of vinegar mixture that I read about but it didn't work at all and I was so disappointed :( Thanks so much for sharing this, I'll have to try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Maria. It works great, just remember to use the plain white kind with NO coating only. The other pills that have coating cause a bad smell.

      Delete
  13. I have thrown away irons with that.....
    If I have that happen again I will remember....thank you!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holy mackerel!!! This just saved my iron today and saved me from buying a new one! All the junk on my iron was starting to come off on our clothes and was frustrating to no end, especially when it was on my husband's and son's white dress shirts! This was truly amazing, and I'm so excited about it I put a link to this post from my blog -- thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for adding your thoughts. I read all of your comments and I reply to all one way or another, mostly by email or on your blog. You brighten up my day & for that I thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover